Monday, November 3, 2008

dreams

Last night I had the most odd dream. It was very fairy-tale oriented. The character that stalked my friends and I was a wolf. Right before I went to bed I was reading a hiking book of the greater Los Angeles area. It recommended wonderful hikes, and many involved camping. So in this dream, my friends and I-a large group of about fifteen people went camping up in the San Gabriel mountains. Now in Los Angeles it is rare to camp. Not many people in the metropolitan area treat themselves to such pleasures. We had set up camp around an abandoned building in the woods. My friend Duncan warned us that there was a specific wolf in the area that I nor any of my fellow campers had heard of. While setting up camp it got dark quickly which reflects the shorter days we have been having lately. As soon as the sun settled behind the San Gabriel mountains, Duncan warned us all that we must be quiet. Just as the victims in fairy tales, we ignored this statement and continued to talk excitedly. Soon we heard howling which Duncan identified as the feared and famed wolf. Fear ran through the crowd. We all decided to sleep close together. Duncan told us if we woke up with the wolf next to us the best defense was to run as fast as we could. This would be not easy feat, considering the rough and rocky terrain in the dark. Everybody wanted to be nestled close to another. Nobody wanted to be at the end of the big sleeping mess of people. Why we stayed I do not know. In a dream, looking in and not being able to do anything about the situation happening to you or your close friends, all I could do in my dreaming state was to stick around and find out what happened. Soon as all ran into the house when we saw the huge wolf come along on two feet. There happened to be abandoned kittens strewn around the house and the wolf killed two in front of us. The boys all had shotguns with no ammo. They all took shots anyhow but nothing happened. We all stood, paralyzed in fear. Finally one of the outdoor-oriented males among us took a knife and stabbed the villain to death. I had to go outside in the dream because I couldn't bare the brutality. Everyone in my camping party was unharmed physically, but it caused personal mental discomfort after the terrible event happened.

No comments: