Sunday, September 7, 2008

reflections of my initial brush with fairy tales


When I was growing up my favorite fairy tale was that of The Little Mermaid. After all I have red hair, and I first saw that movie when I was in kindergarden. I used to make my mother put salt in my bathtub and my father made me a big shell and painted it turqouise, which became the head-board of my bed. My hair was to be envied by all the little girls in my kindergarden class. That is my first vivid memory of fairy tales, and how they affected me. To this day I still could sing all the songs sung my Ariel in the Disney movie. I can still remember and how dreamy I thought Eric, the prince was to me back then. Fairy tales have a way of enchanting little girls and boys alike. This summer I had a conversation with my co-worker who is a few years older than me. He told me the last Disney movie he saw before he was "too old" was The Lion King. It is a shame that one thinks that after a certain age they are too old to imagine and bask in the idea of the unreal. I still enjoy watching and reading stories of fairy tales to this day, and cannot wait to pass on stories to my children and their children.

No comments: